- 1 in 3 homes with children have guns; most children 5-14 years of age know where the firearm is stored.
- Among households with firearms and children less than 18 years of age, 22% have a loaded gun in the home.
- The presence of loaded unlocked firearms in the home increases the risk of suicide among adolescents by 4x.
For More Information & How to Take Action:
- “Gun Violence: Facts and Statistics,” The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute.
- Child Access Prevention Laws, Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
- The Effects of Child Access Prevention Laws, Rand Corporation.
- BeSMART for Kids program, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.