LWVSPA’s Social Justice Committee needs your help to Defend Our Democracy, right here in St Petersburg, because St Pete is NOT for sale. Tell City Council to vote YES on the Defend Our Democracy Ordinance in June.
If City Council passes the ordinance before it, Super PACs will be banned, and corporations will be limited to $5,000 donations, instead of the unlimited $$ they can give now in our St Pete City Council and Mayoral elections.
To find out who your specific City Council rep is, visit this map.
Individual City Council email addresses:
- District 1. Charles Gerdes Charlie.firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 2. Jim Kennedy James.Kennedy@stpete.org
- District 3. Ed Montanari email@example.com
- District 4. Darden Rice firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 5. Steve Kornell Steve.email@example.com
- District 6. Karl Nurse Karl.firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 7. Lisa Wheeler-Brown email@example.com
- District 8. Amy Foster firstname.lastname@example.org
Use this simple e-mail template:
|Indicate your name, address, and a clear request:
My name is Jane Doe, and my home address is 333 3rd St, St Pete 33704. Please vote YES to support the ordinance to ban Super PACs and to keep campaign contributions from corporations with foreign investors to a limit of $5,000. Thank you.
Or, personalize the email. An example:
|Use a salutation and introduction, indicating your name and address, followed by a clear request and some personal reasons.
Address the email with a proper salutation, such as:
Dear Chair Rice, City Council and Mayor Kriseman, Thank you for your service and for considering my opinion.
Identify who you are and your home address.
My name is Jane Doe and my home address is _____ [include zip].
Make a clear simple request.
Please vote YES to support the ordinance to ban Super PACs and to keep campaign contributions from corporations with foreign investors to a limit of $5,000.
Describe your personal reasons.
The reason I want you to vote YES is because I think we cannot afford to NOT do this. The cost to not do nothing and allow our elections to be bought and sold will far outweigh a potential $2M legal cost to defend it. I do not believe corporations are people. I believe that Super PAC campaign contributions do influence elections in an unfair way. I do not want St Pete elected officials to be influenced by special interests by accepting contributions to their campaign.
Share & Get Involved
- Share on FB & e-mail your St Pete resident friends: tell them to write an email too!
- For more info or to get involved, contact
- Bruce Nissen at 727-289-3973,
- Julie Kessel at email@example.com, or
- Rae Claire Johnson at 727-421-8460
Position: The League of Women Voters of the SPA supports this Ordinance.
Get More Info
For more information about the ordinance, and talking points, please click here.