Are you looking for a way to help ensure every eligible voter who wants to vote is able to do so? You can do this by becoming a poll monitor! The LWVSPA is the Pinellas County lead for the national Election Protection coalition, a nationwide non-partisan organization that trains and supports poll monitors outside polling places on Election Day.
The pandemic may have changed a lot in our society, but something that hasn’t changed is the need for trained, non-partisan poll monitors to support voters on Election Day. We’re looking for volunteers to help with the following:
- Mobile poll monitors: to drive around the county and observe polling places for any visible signs of problems
- Virtual poll monitors: to monitor local news and social media for reports of problems & mis/disinformation
- Legal volunteers: to staff the hotline that will be used by both volunteers and voters
We will be training cohorts for the upcoming primary and general elections soon. More information will be released on our social channels as it becomes available.
If you have any questions, email us at VoterProtection@lwvspa.org.
What LWVSPA’s Voter & Election Protection Team Does
- READ THIS: 6 Things Pinellas Voters Should Know
The League is dedicated to ensuring that all eligible voters – particularly those from traditionally underrepresented communities, including first-time voters, non-college youth, new citizens, the elderly and low-income Americans – have the opportunity and the information to exercise their right to vote. Our work to protect voters includes:
Our Election Protection program has three parts:
- We train volunteer nonpartisan poll monitors to stand outside polling places on Election Day and to make themselves available to voters who may encounter issues while trying to cast their ballots. Those issues can include everything from confusion surrounding the use of provisional ballots to a lack of polling machines to support the number of voters in a given precinct.
- We also train the poll monitors to report the issues they encounter in the field so we can collect data to give us a larger picture view into the state of elections in Pinellas County.
- We train volunteer attorneys and law students to staff a legal hotline during elections so our poll monitors have legal expertise backing them up.
We advocate on behalf of voters to ensure fair access to the voting process for all who are eligible. Currently we are working to identify what the passage of Amendment 4 and SB 7066 means for voters, including returning citizens.
We also support the modernization of voting systems, streamlining the voting process, promoting transparent and accountable redistricting and making it easier for all eligible citizens to become active participants in our electoral process.
Among other efforts, we work to improve polling place management, expand online voter registration and implement electronic streamlining. We also work to ensure compliance with laws such as the Voting Rights Act and the National Voter Registration Act.
Want to Get Involved? Have Questions?
Get in touch with us at VoterProtection@lwvspa.org.