The Voter Service Action Group/Committee is best-known for its time-honored nonpartisan Forums, Voter Guides and Voter Registration Drives. Non-partisanship is the core principle guiding the League’s Voter Service mission, to provide unbiased, factual information for citizens to use in making their own informed ballot decisions. This educational initiative is always separate from advocacy.
The Voter Service Committee oversees and coordinates the League’s efforts not only to provide nonpartisan information to voters but also to promote citizen participation in elections.
These volunteers develop a plan and set goals for providing as many voters as possible with accurate, timely and useful nonpartisan information on candidates and election issues. They work together to develop strategies for promoting voter turnout on election day, with special focus on groups with historically low turnout.
Below are some of the ways the Committee makes an impact in our community.
- Registers citizens to vote.
- Identifies other community organizations, individuals, or entities with an interest in promoting an informed and active electorate.
- Partners with community organizations to conduct Get Out The Vote (GOTV) activities.
- Educates the community on basic registration and voting information as well as key election related dates and deadlines and any changes in election law affecting the public.
- Creates candidate questionnaires for distribution to local and state candidates, securing their responses for publication in the League of Women Voters Pinellas County Voter Guide (The Guide), A one-stop online community resource for election and voting information.
- Researches all sides of local ballot issues and creates “yes vote” and “no vote” analysis statements for publication in The Guide.
- Organizes and facilitates local candidate forums, observing state and national League guidelines to assure fairness and impartiality.
For Additional General Information or to engage our Voter Education and/or Registration Services email our office.